Transparent space design concepts are gaining increasing significance in modern architecture. Opaque structural components such as floors, stairs and ceilings are being completely or partially replaced with transparent glass surfaces that can be walked on.
Walk-on glass (TG-STEP) is made of laminated safety glass with at least three individual layers of float or extra-white glass, bound together using several highly tearproof PVB films. In addition, the glass can be decorated with various colours, effects or prints. The use of walk-on glass requires planning permission on a case-by-case basis.
Coating using screen printing or satin finishing, such as TG-LuxRaff® Stone (R10), MADRAS® Pixel Flooring (R11) or full-surface anti-slip screen printing (R13) give the walk-on glass DIN-compliant slip resistance.
In cooperation with the Technical University of Dresden and glasfaktor, TG-STEP was the first walkable glass in Germany which passed the General Technical Approval (AbP) in 2016. Statical calculation are available on request.
Technical data and information
- Type of glass: TG-PROTECT®, float or extra-white glass
- Glass thickness: 27 to 49 mm
- Maximum glass dimensions: 2,100 mm × 2,200 mm or 1,600 x 3,000 mm
- Minimum glass dimensions: 150 x 300 mm
- Maximum panel weight: 117 kg/m²
- for use indoor and outdoor
- various anti-slip coatings
- many different colours and effects (led lighting)
- visible edges either mattsanded or polished
- can be combined with TG-PRINTdigital (for decorative purposes)
Areas of application
- floors / landings
- stairs / bridges
- walk-on glazing
- balconies / balustrades / parapets